Tuesday, May 10, 2011

First Assignment


MUS 214
Laura Claussen
http://lauraclaussen.blogspot.com/

Music Education:  Things to Think About

  1. How do you use music in your life?

    • I absolutely love music. I use it everyday in my life. I use it as an alarm to wake up, to entertain myself while driving, and to relax and relieve stress from daily life. I enjoy singing to my iPod and playing guitar, trumpet, and organ when I am in need of some music therapy. Without music, my life would be quite boring!

  1. What musical activities and interests did you have as a child?
    • I began organ lessons in the third grade. My mom has played organ since she was in the third grade, too. I picked up my musical interest from her. When she would be practicing for a wedding, I would play wedding with my Barbie dolls. When fifth grade band came along, I decided to take up the trumpet, putting my organ lessons on the back burner. Before I started eighth grade, I went to a very spiritually moving summer camp. The guitar music inspired me so much that I was bound and determined to learn to play the guitar. However, there weren’t any guitar lessons around home, so I decided to teach myself. In high school I was a very active choir, swing choir, band, and jazz band member, as well as a member in my church choir and special music provider.

  1. Have you observed children at musical play?
    • Yes! While volunteering at my church, I was able to spend some time in the position of music director. I was able to watch them listen and learn from the music while doing actions and other activities. I was also able to observe children at musical play while doing field experience from my EDU 201 class in Randolph.

  1. Are there some musical skills that you feel you can teach more easily to children than others?
    • The skill that stands out most is applying actions to learn and remember lyrics to a song. “I’m in the Lord’s Army” was the best example. I was able to get the preschool boys to get off their seats and participate with the rest of the class. Seeing the joy in their faces made me so happy and at that moment I knew I wanted to become a teacher.

  1. What do you think all children should be able to do, musically, as a result of musical education?
    • As a result of musical education I think students should be able to understand the basics of music; note reading, the difference between louds and softs, as well as other musical vocabulary and techniques, and to be able to take note and identify common music styles.

1 comment:

  1. Laura,

    I am so excited to hear about your passion and knowledge of music! I think you will truly be able to take the skills and techniques learned in our few short weeks together and make a difference in the lives of children. I am especially excited to expand your knowledge about what children should be able to do musically. It will really get you thinking "outside of the box"!

    ReplyDelete