Thursday, May 19, 2011

Extra-Curricular Activities & the Classroom

Coming from a small school, I was involved in year-round high school extra-curricular activities. It seemed I was out of school more than I was in school. Luckily, these were excused student activity absences. Now, we see kids getting out of school for sports, pep-rallies, and so on... Where do we find balance? You would think the administration would better regulate these things, but in a sports-driven society where the principal is also the co-activities director and the five-year-straight state champion one-act coach, you can see where issues arise. How do we achieve this balance? Does the responsibility then fall onto the teachers? Maybe since the kids are at all the games, maybe offer a few tie-ins... like how a certain event in history impacted a sport. Or maybe have them analyze some pep-band music? I'm not 100% sure on a solution, but we need to start somewhere!

1 comment:

  1. Laura,

    Great post, as always. I think it is imperative for leaders in education to focus on how we as teachers/administrators strike a balance in the classroom. What does it say to our students when school is canceled for a state competition? I do not want to take away from those who have experienced great success in extra-curricular activities, but we as a country wonder aloud why other countries are ahead of us academically. I was also HEAVILY involved in extra curricular activities--Choir, Band, Drama, Spanish Club, Outdoor Education, Cheerleading, Softball, Track, and Basketball....I wonder how much more successful I would have been if I was encouraged to strike a better balance between my coursework and my extra-curricular activities?

    Thanks so much!
    Dr. H.

    ReplyDelete